If you suffer from poor circulation, you’ll be aware of the many unfortunate side effects it can bring. Uncomfortable swollen joints, tingling as well as general weakness to name just a few. In this post we’ll explore the main causes of poor circulation, how it can be improved and the ways a riser recliner could help.
What Causes Poor Circulation?
Did you know that your body holds about 60,000 miles of blood vessels? Along with your heart and other muscles, they make up your entire circulatory system.
This network of roadways carries blood to every corner of your body. But when your circulation is poor, it slows or blocks the blood flow. Restricting blood flow means the cells in your body can’t get all the oxygen and nutrients they need.
Poor circulation can be influenced by a number of factors including:
- Poor diet– Certain unhealthy foods can lead to the hardening of your artery walls, preventing a healthy blood flow
- Smoking– The chemicals found in tobacco can damage the lining of your artery walls effecting circulation
- Age– As we get older our arteries get stiffer, lowering blood pressure
Genes– Some people are more genetically prone to poor circulation than others through genes
Symptoms of Poor Circulation
Common signs of poor circulation include:
- Feeling of numbness and coldness in hands and feet
- Swollen legs, ankles and feet
- Problems with memory and concentration
- Digestive issues
Left untreated, poor circulation can lead to a number of complications including blood clots, dementia and heart attacks.
Top Tips For Improving Poor Circulation
1. Elevate Your Legs
Elevating your legs, for a minimum of 20 minutes, is a brilliant way to improve blood circulation.
At the touch of a button a riser recliner can raise your legs to a comfortable position, taking the pressure from your joints and improving your blood pressure , a great source of relief.
If you find that you often wake up in the morning with swollen feet or ankles, keeping your feet raised overnight in an adjustable bed could be a great help too.
Any exercise that helps to get your blood pumping can be of great benefit to your blood pressure. It doesn’t have to be strenuous either.
Try starting off with a simple walk and building up as you become more practiced and you will soon begin to see the benefits to your health and blood pressure.
3. Get Up Slowly From Sitting to Standing
Sitting or standing up too quickly can lead to you feeling lightheaded and dizzy if you suffer from poor blood circulation.
A riser recliner can help avoid this by slowly and safely raising you to your feet. At the touch of a button you can steady get into a standing position avoiding feelings of light headedness.
4. Try These Super Foods
Improving your diet can have a dramatic improvement on low blood pressure. Enjoy a balanced diet and try adding these super foods for an extra boost to your health.
- Oily fish
5. Enjoy a relaxing massage
Did you know that you can choose to add an in-built massage to our riser recliners? Massage is not only a brilliant way to help you to relax, but it has also been shown to improves blood circulation too.
• Choose from wave or pulse settings to help those stubborn aches and pains, or to simply help you relax
• Enjoy either a full sensual body massage or a concentrated massage on one of five specific areas of your body
• Control the intensity of the massage with the easy to use remote
Get in Touch Today
If you would like to find out more about how a riser recliner could help improve your day to day comfort, get in touch today.
Call our friendly team on 0800 988 2898 today to request your free brochure.